|Volume 3, Issue 4||
November 1, 2000
Click on title
or scroll down
1893 – 1971
David Graham Currey was born December 13, 1893 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He moved to South Bend, Indiana in 1919.
On June 14, 1921 in South Bend he married Florence Lehmann. Florence was the daughter of Frederick Lehmann and Elizabeth Kopper. She was born in South Bend on June 29. 1898.
Over the years they had three children. Barbara married Alexander Lysohir and remained living in South Bend.
Elizabeth married Mr. Algelt and lived for a time in Akron, Ohio before moving to Falls Church, Virginia.
The third child, Carolyn married Gerald Rogers and moved to Indianapolis, Indiana.
David was a factory representative for the M. & N. Manufacturing Company of Tampa, Florida and retired in 1969.
He was a member of the St. Peter’s United Church of Christ, the South Bend Lodge 294, the F. & A. M., the Scottish Rite Valley of south Bend, and an honorary member of the Supreme Council Thirty-Third Degree.
He was also a member of the South Bend Chapter 29, the Royal Arch Masons, the South Bend Council 82, the Royal and Select Master, the South Bend Commandery 13, the Knights Templar, the Orak Shrine Temple, the Hammond Avalon Grotto and had been director of the robing room of the Scottish Rite.
He was a World War I veteran and a member of Post 50, the American Legion, and Veterans of World War I.
His wife, Florence, was a member of the St. Peter’s United Church of Christ, the Women’s Guild of the church and the YWCA Antique Club. She was a volunteer for the Red Cross and for REAL Services.
David Currey died on November 17, 1971 in South Bend, Indiana. He was buried at the Sumption Prairie Cemetery.
His wife Florence died on June 9, 1982 in South Bend and was also buried at the Sumption Prairie Cemetery.
South Bend, just 50 years old, was a bustling, growing town with a population already passing the 13,000 mark. The Panic of ‘73 had not had a devastating effect on the solid manufacturing concerns that accounted for a good share of the town’s financial well being. The Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Co. and the South Bend Chilled Plow Co. had continued to prosper and attracted many of the new workers coming to the United States from their homes in Europe.
No doubt the promise of steady employment and a stable community influenced the families who made up the growing German section of South Bend. From their native Germany, ambitious, concerned, God-fearing husbands and fathers had brought their families, their traditions, their language and their faith with them to make new homes in this country which offered them a bright future.
On August 21, 1878, a small group of these new South Bend residents met to establish even more firmly their presence in their chosen city. The time had come for them to make plans to start a church home of their own. The minutes of that first meeting, written in neat German script, attest to the hours of discussion that hot summer night. But when the meeting ended their goal had been met. St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church at South Bend was a fact.
Arrangements had been made to rent the old Presbyterian Church on Main Street and on June 18, 1879 Pastor Sieck was formally installed. Wasting no time, just one week later the first church meeting was held to elect church officers, to appoint a committee to write the constitution and by-laws, and to establish a day school for the children.
A request to the Presbyterian owners of the church they were renting, for permission to use the building as a school, was denied. Undaunted, the founding fathers of St. Paul’s initiated a special collection at communion services to purchase school books, and continued to look for a suitable location for the school. At the same time they decided to search for a site to build their own church.
By September the school building was a reality. A house on the corner of Jefferson and William was found to be most suitable and could be had for $8 per month. School City of South Bend was replacing its school benches and the fledgling St. Paul’s Day School was offered the old ones at no cost.
Fees were set. One child could attend for 60 cents a school year. Families with more than one school-age child got a special rate: two children cost $1, three were enrolled for $1.20.
The school term ran from August 15 until July 4. The last day of school was especially welcomed because it was always the day of the church picnic.
Students were required to do extra jobs at the school such as sweeping and cleaning and woe to those who shirked their duties. Parents were duly informed and no doubt familial woodshed sessions soon reformed the laggards.
There was one concession to nature, however, and if the temperature on any given day reached 85 degrees by 11 a.m., school was dismissed.
Classes were all in German, of course, with the three R’s generously supplemented by catechism, Bible study and the memorizing of hundreds of Bible verses.
The Pastor soon found he could not handle his growing duties with church affairs and still devote full time to teach school, also. After very lengthy discussion at a church meeting it was decided to hire a capable Lutheran teacher. C.M. Ackerman of Boston, Massachusetts agreed to accept the congregation’s offer of $30 a month along with $60 to pay for his move, and he became the teacher. Three years later a woman assistant was hired at a salary of $10 monthly. In 1880 the decision was to purchase the building that housed the school for $2500 and to use it for a church as well. By 1883 St. Paul’s was an active, busy congregation.
The growing membership was proving too large to remain in the combination church-school building. The structure had been enlarged by a 10-foot addition, although the installation of gas lights was ruled out as being too expensive. But a larger church home was needed.
November of that year saw the completion of a new St. Paul’s Church, a handsome red brick building on the corner of Jefferson and William.
The 30 by 60 foot structure was built at a cost of $4335. Pews were purchased for an additional $170 and an alter was installed for $45. A wood stove heated the building and it was illuminated by gas lights. The mortgage was $2500 at 8% interest.
The new church was dedicated on November 25 at three services, two in German and one in English. Although German was still the accepted language at St. Paul’s, new members often could not speak it and they were “granted privilege” to speak English.
As the years passed other changes crept into the church. Collection baskets replaced the traditional Klingel-beutel. Loosely translated, Klingel means ringing; beutel means collection or offertory bag. St. Paul’s Klingel-beutel was actually a black velvet pouch that was fastened on a silver hoop and tied at the bottom with a tassel. It was mounted on a handle long enough to reach the center section of each pew. In Germany the Klingel-beutel customarily has a small bell hanging from the bottom which tinkles as it is passed among churchgoers; hence the name.
With the advent of World War I, language problems developed. There was increasing hostility to any German ties and St. Paul’s was informed it could teach only in English. A plan to protest to the governor and to send a representative to appeal the demand was discussed but not implemented and the congregation acceded somewhat. The constitution was printed in English as well as German and the English language was increasingly used.
It was not until many years later, when English had long been the prevailing language, that St. Paul’s dropped its German services. Pearl Harbor brought about their discontinuance. The last German language service was held in December 1941.
Once a year the German service is reinstated for one service, when the “Weihnochtsgottesdienst” or Christmas service in the German language, is held on the first Sunday of Advent. Services will be held this year on December 3 at 4 p.m. at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church on 51490 Laurel Road. For more information call the church at 219-271-1050.
Many of our relatives were members of this church including Carl & Lena Benzel, Friedrich & Elisabeth Geisel, Andrew & Barbara Keb, Gottfried & Pauline Hensler, and William & Anna Wiegand to name a few. We have just started to scour the membership, birth, baptism, and death records. All the records of the church were also hand written in the old German language. They spoke and wrote German in their daily lives. Some did not speak the English language at all.
We want to thank all those that have contributed ideas, articles, poems, and pictures to the newsletter. Also our appreciation for donations to help defray the cost of paper and stamps.
We try our best, and sometimes it tends to sway to one side of the family. We apologize, but we can only print information that we know about.
A special thanks to Linda Detwiler for the
time she spends doing research for the family
tree. Without her help during the day the process would be a lot slower.
Sorry for the delay of this issue. Normally it would have come out October 1st. We have moved all the newsletters ahead a
month so the Christmas ideas will come out a little closer to Christmas time. Also this saves us from trying to do the next newsletter during the
hectic Christmas season. The news-letters will now come out in February, May, August, and November.
We have had many compliments on the newsletter, which we appreciate. Any ideas, articles, or stories can be sent to the editor at the address on the front page.
We have had many suggestions about having a family reunion before the family gets any smaller, so we are going to try to make it a reality.
Pork Chops and Rice
Ingredients for 4 servings
Preparation: In a large skillet (with cover) or Dutch oven brown chops and remove. Sauté chopped garlic, onion, shallots and bell pepper in fat remaining in skillet. Add stock, water and chopped parsley. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Add uncooked rice making sure it is evenly distributed. Place pork chops on top. Cover; cook in 300 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours or until rice is cooked. Check after 1 hour; add water if needed.
|Is this Martin Keb’s car? The gentleman sure is taking good care of it. What year is it and what kind of car?|
10 lb goose
3 Medium-sized potatoes, diced small
1/3 cup Finely chopped onion
3 tbsp. Finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. Butter
Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 425°F. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 8 minutes and drain them. In a large skillet, fry the onion and parsley gently in butter. Add the potatoes, shake the skillet to coat the potatoes evenly, season them and add a small pinch of marjoram. Season the goose with salt. Place the potato stuffing in the goose and sew it up. Lightly pierce the skin (without puncturing the flesh underneath) of the goose all over to allow the fat to drain during cooking (or the goose will taste greasy.) Stuff and truss the goose. Place the goose on its side in a shallow pan in a hot oven, using a rack to hold the bird if desired. Pour a little water into the pan to keep the fat from burning while the bird roasts. Baste the bird every 15 to 20 minutes with its own drippings, thus melting out more fat and helping the skin to crisp. Discard the excess drippings as they accumulate. Turn the bird on its other side and finally, breast up—basting all the while. Roast for 50 to 60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 6-cup oval baking dish. Cut 2 Tbs. Butter into small pieces; set aside. In a large bowl combine apples, molasses, lemon juice, bourbon, 2 Tbs. Flour, cinnamon, 1 tsp. Vanilla and nutmeg. Let stand 15 minutes. Arrange mixture evenly in baking dish; dot with reserved butter. Set aside.
Melt remaining butter; cool slightly. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and remaining flour. In bowl beat together eggs, milk, melted butter and remaining vanilla. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until ingredients are just combined. (The batter will be very thick.)
Spoon batter over apple mixture, spreading as needed to cover apples and allowing batter to drip down between apples. Sprinkle batter with remaining sugar. Bake 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Blend together and heat in electric coffee urn or crock pot 1/2 cup Savannah Cinnamon Mix to each half gallon apple juice. For variety, use cran-apple or apple cider. This not only tastes great but also gives the house a nice Christmas scent.
Apple Candle Holders
Carved into holiday candleholders, they are a prize for the eyes and disposable.
Every apple will sit differently, so see how they balance before marking their tops with a dot. Place a tea light or tapered candle over the dot, and trace around its circumference with a utility knife, inserting the knife vertically as deep as the tea light is tall or deep enough to insert the tapered candle without it tipping over. . Set aside the light, cut the circle into sections, and scoop them out with a spoon. Squeeze lemon juice onto the cut surface to keep the apple from turning brown. Insert a tea light or tapered candle.
Can be decorated with sprigs of evergreen and berries to give a holiday look. After the holiday just throw away for a no mess holiday.
Use everyday items for a creative gift wrap.
1. A sports lovers gift may be wrapped thin the sports section of the newspaper. Decorate with miniature footballs, baskets balls, etc.
2. Towels make great gift wrap. A kitchen towel with kitchen utensils for decoration. A bath towel with bath accessories. A hand towel with garden items for decoration.
3. A baby’s present maybe wrapped in a diaper and decorated with rattles or other small toys.
4. For the crafter try wrapping the gift in fabric and decorating with lace and buttons.
5. For a great gift wrap for the grandparents. Print photos of the grandchildren on paper and have each child write something on it or sign their names. Use this paper for gift wrap. Decorate with lace to give it an heirloom look.
For someone that likes to write—give them a blank book with a nice pen, or make a stationary kit with some nice paper, envelopes, stamps and a pen.
For the cook—make a package with a kitchen towel, hot pads, and wooden spoons.
For the craft person—select a few items that get used a lot such as buttons, elastic, lace, or paper, depending on the type of craft they like to do.
For the gardener—try a garden apron and seeds.
For the fix-it person—select various types of screws, sandpaper, paintbrushes and other items that get used up often.
For the fixative:
1/2 cup of orrisroot granules
2 teaspoons of cedar oil
2 teaspoons of tangerine oil
1/2 teaspoon of clove oil
1-pint glass jar with lid
For the potpourri:
2 cups of pine needles, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cups of dried incense cedar
1 cup of orange peel pieces
1 cup of lemon peel pieces
2 cups of hemlock cones
1 cup of rose hips
1/2 cup of cinnamon pieces
2 cups of star anise
2 cups of whole allspice
1-1/2 cups of whole cloves
6-quart plastic container with cover
1. To prepare the fixative, place the orrisroot granules and essential oils in the glass jar. Cover the jar and shake well to mix. Set aside for five days, shaking daily.
2. When the fixative is ready, place the herbs, spices, and flowers in the plastic container in the order listed, stirring after each addition with the long-handled spoon.
3. Add the fixative to the potpourri mixture and stir well. Store potpourri in the covered plastic container.
4. Display the potpourri in a basket, glass, or pottery bowl. Avoid metal containers, which may cause the essential oils to become rancid.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.